Destined to become a lawyer, Dan is a Central Florida native surrounded by more than a handful of lawyers among his relatives – including his dad who was the City Attorney for a number of Central Florida cities and public entities, siblings, cousins, in-laws, and even children. But first Dan wanted to explore the ski slopes of the “wild west” after attending Duke University and before returning to his southern roots to attend the University of Florida Law School. While in college, Dan worked in high-end retail and as a rodman on a survey crew. Amazed by the ability to depict land on a piece of paper, Dan ultimately found his passion in real estate law.
With a focus on business trends, Dan has successfully guided some of the most recognizable Central Florida companies through multi-site, multi-jurisdictional real estate acquisitions, financings, and dispositions. He advises on acquisition, leasing and financing, title review and survey analysis, environmental issues and zoning, with attention to every detail of these transactions – from document preparation, review of title commitments, endorsements and coverages, surveys, and closing statements, and all the negotiating and documentation in between. Clients include owners and lenders of shopping centers, retail stores, restaurants, gasoline and convenience stores, golf courses, ski resorts, hotels, and condominium properties.
In addition, Dan has negotiated and closed hundreds of high end residential transactions on sites throughout the southeast.
As a real estate leader in the firm, Dan’s mission has included building and mentoring efficient teams committed to the clients’ business success, echoed in his commitment to his community. A resident of Winter Park for many years, Dan has served in leadership roles on many civic, church, and charitable boards. A graduate and long-time participant in the Winter Park Chamber of Commerce Leadership Program, Dan served as its alumni association president, rewrote its by-laws, and was a recipient of its Community Leader Award. His leadership role on the Winter Park Library Board is helping to bring the City’s vision of a $30-million-dollar library and events center to life. Dan is also the immediate past president of the Orlando Shakespeare Theater and has been a member of its Board for over 20 years.
- Built a $2.5-billion-dollar portfolio for a financial group to invest in senior housing and medical office buildings
- Built a number of multi-million dollar restaurant loan and sale/leaseback portfolios which were included in mortgage backed programs.
- Represented the purchaser of a $130,000,000 multi-site shopping center acquisition.
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating: AV
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2010-2019
- Recognized as “Florida Legal Elite” 2011-2012, 2014-2017 by Florida Trend Magazine
- Selected for inclusion in 2012-2018 Florida Super Lawyers
- City of Winter Park Library Board of Trustees (2014 – 2017), President, Past VP, Executive Committee, Governance Committee Chairperson, Development Committee Chairperson
- Orlando Shakespeare Theater, Board of Directors, Past President, Executive Committee, Finance Committee, Nominating Committee
- Duke University Central Florida Alumni Admissions Advisory Committee, Chairperson
- Duke University Alumni Association of Central Florida
- Winter Park Chamber of Commerce, 2011 Community Leader Award
- Winter Park Chamber of Commerce, past member of the Board of Directors
- Winter Park Chamber of Commerce Leadership Alumni Association, Board of Directors
- City of Winter Park Code Enforcement Board, 2013 – 2017 (Chairman)
- City of Winter Park Board of Adjustment, past Chairman
- Leadership Winter Park, Class III
- Trinity Preparatory School, Key Council
- All Saints Episcopal Church, Chalice Minister, Teacher, Outreach Commission, Human Resources Committee, Senior Warden, and Treasurer
- Meritas Law Firms Worldwide, Finance Committee Member, Leadership Institute
- United Arts Central Florida, Board of Directors – 2009 -2011
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- American Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- Orange County Bar Association
- Seminole County Bar Association
- Florida Land Title Association
- Meritas Leadership Institute, 2006-2007