“It’s a phase.”
That was Jason’s dad’s response when Jason told his dad he was going to law school – a predictable reaction, since Jason’s undergraduate degree was in Animal Science (pre-veterinary medicine). Even more startling to his dad: Jason had already studied for and taken the entrance exam, applied to law schools, and secured acceptance and student loans before ever telling his dad about his plan. More than 20 years later, his dad has long-since come around to the idea that he was meant to do this.
Jason believes there are two types of litigators—problem creators and problem solvers—and Jason is a problem solver. For his clients, that means looking for ways to achieve their goals in the most efficient, cost-effective way. Recognizing that there is a bit of an inherent tension in being a litigator, as often, the better you are at your job, the better you are at taking work off your own plate, Jason often jokes with his clients that “While I am all about the ‘Jason Johnson Full-Employment Program,’ it may not be in your best interests to implement that program, and it is your interests that must control.” It is the creativity required to be a problem solver that is one of the reasons he most enjoys litigation. Opponents who mistake his professionalism and reasonableness for weakness, though, do so at their peril, as being a problem solver and a zealous advocate are not mutually exclusive traits.
A commercial litigator and the senior member of the firm’s Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights practice, Jason represents commercial lending institutions, REITs, hedge funds, equity groups, financial services corporations, equipment lessors, commercial landlords, real estate developers, asset purchasers, and other secured and unsecured creditors in federal and state court matters throughout the State of Florida. His extensive experience in all aspects of bankruptcy, commercial foreclosure and workout proceedings have ranged to cases involving client assets exceeding $50-billion-dollars and claims exceeding $1-billion-dollars.
Jason also handles “white collar” criminal matters which, not surprisingly, sometimes flow from creditors’ rights cases. Additionally, Jason is a Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Mediator, acting as a trusted and effective mediator to help warring parties resolve their complex commercial litigation and complex bankruptcy litigation matters.
With deep roots in Florida, Jason has developed longstanding relationships in Central Florida’s business and political circles. He began his law career as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Arthur B. Briskman of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Florida. A former President and current Board member of the Central Florida Bankruptcy Law Association, Jason is a longstanding leader in the Central Florida bankruptcy bar.
When not practicing law, Jason enjoys road cycling, Gator athletics, drinking fine bourbon, and spending time with his wife and daughter. Though he grew up surfing the warm waters off the Florida coast, he is more likely to be found on any present-day vacation sliding down the snow-covered Alps than at the beach. He is happy to discuss your legal issues, his shift from vet school to the law, or about some of his more “interesting” Animal Science experiences—just don’t ask about the latter over dinner.
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Arthur B. Briskman of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Listed in the Florida Super Lawyers, 2013-2018
- Recognized as “Florida’s Legal Elite,” 2017 by Florida Trend Magazine
- Recognized as a “Florida Rising Stars” for 2009 and 2011 by Florida Super Lawyers
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2012-2019
- Listed in the Litigation-Bankruptcy section of The Best Lawyers in America, 2012
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating: AV
- Buoniconti Fund to Cure Paralysis, Board of Directors
- Central Florida Gator Club, Board of Directors, Past President
- Leadership Orlando, Class 91
- Orlando Ballet, Board of Directors
- Orlando Cumberland Club, President
- Special Olympics Florida, Host Committee for Annual Fundraiser
- Tau Kappa Epsilon Social Fraternity
- Tiger Bay Club of Central Florida, Board of Directors, Past President
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association
- Central Florida Bankruptcy Law Association, Past President
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Mediator
- Orange County Bar Association
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity
- The Florida Bar