Jon Gibbs represents clients in a broad spectrum of intellectual property matters including intellectual property protection, licensing, litigation, auditing, and due diligence. He regularly counsels clients with respect to securing rights in proprietary discoveries and works through patent, copyright and trade secret protection, selection and clearance of trademarks and service marks, brand management strategies, and policing and enforcement issues.
Jon negotiates and drafts complex license and IP transfer agreements, documents co-existence agreements, and conducts due diligence investigations in connection with intellectual property transactions.
Jon has litigated and defended matters involving claims of patent infringement, trade secret misappropriation, trademark infringement, trademark dilution, unfair competition, trade dress infringement, false advertising, copyright infringement, and cybersquatting. He has handled numerous matters before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and has significant experience in litigating domain name disputes under the UDRP.
Jon is also a United States Coast Guard licensed Captain.
REPRESENTATIVE CLIENT EXPERIENCE
- Representation of multi-platinum recording group in trademark infringement, unfair competition, cyber-piracy and breach of contract action brought by former management companies.
- Representation of transportation companies in trademark, trade dress, and unfair competition claims against taxi cab companies and independent taxi cab driver-owners for infringement of client’s trademarks and trade dress.
- Representation of Bankruptcy Trustee in connection with multi-million dollar Ponzi-Scheme connected bankruptcy of interrelated entertainment companies.
- Representation of Trademark-Licensed Distributor in connection with dissolution of joint venture.
- Representation of boat manufacturer in patent infringement actions against companies manufacturing and selling infringing products.
- Representation of t-shirt shop in action brought by trademark registrant for trademark infringement and unfair competition.
- Representation of financial institution in case asserting copyright infringement and unfair competition against financial institution for alleged use of copyrighted building plans.
- Representation of national automobile association in trademark infringement and unfair competition action against mortgage company for use of infringing business and domain name.
- Representation of national restaurant chain in unfair competition action brought against competitor restaurant for use of confusingly similar advertising slogan.
- Representation of real estate developer in copyright actions against competitor developers for use of home designs substantially similar to client’s federally copyrighted home designs.
- Representation of telecommunications company in patent infringement action brought by patent licensing company asserting infringement of patents.
- Representation of novelty light-product company in patent infringement and unfair competition actions against numerous defendants for the importation and sale of products virtually identical to client’s patented product.
- Representation of utilities commission in patent infringement action brought by patent licensing company for alleged use of licensing company’s patented business method.
- Representation of foreign dietary supplement company in action against U.S. competitor for trademark infringement and unfair competition.
- Representation of automated warehousing system manufacturer in patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation action against competitor for competitor’s manufacture and sale of infringing warehousing system.
- Representation of domestic dietary supplement manufacturer in trademark and unfair competition action brought by former supplier arising out of client’s use of former supplier’s name in comparative advertising.
- Representation of fertilizer company in patent infringement action against competitor for competitor’s infringing method of fertilizer manufacture.
- Representation of software developer in unfair competition action against national computer company for unfair competition for computer’s company adoption and use of name confusingly similar to developer’s trademark for virtually identical software product.
- Representation of national stuffed animal manufacturer/retailer in trademark infringement, unfair competition, and copyright infringement action against stuffed animal retailer for its use of names, tag lines and images virtually identical to client’s trademarks, trade dress and federally registered copyrights.
- Representation of national physician recruitment organization against physician recruiter for computer fraud and abuse, trade secret misappropriation and unfair and deceptive trade practices arising out of recruiter’s unauthorized access to, and misappropriation of information from, organization’s computer database.
- Representation of national manufacturer of child and baby products in patent infringement action brought by patent licensing company.
- Selected for inclusion in 2014-2017 Florida Super Lawyers
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2016-2019
- Ninth Judicial Circuit Pro Bono Merit Award
- Rotary International, College Park Rotary Club, Member
- Advisory Board for the Teen Court Program for the Ninth Judicial Circuit, Orange County, Florida, Vice-President, Member
- Guardian Ad Litem Program of the Legal Aid Society of the Orange County Bar Association, Volunteer Guardian ad litem
- Teen Court Program for the Ninth Judicial Circuit, Orange County, Florida, Volunteer Attorney
- University of Florida Alumni Association, Life Member
- Florida Citrus Sports, Member
- North Orlando Rowing Association, Vice-President, Member of the Board of Directors
- United States Rowing Association, Member and Licensed Referee
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Board Certified in Intellectual Property Law, The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education
- Florida Supreme Court Outstanding Pro Bono Service Award Winner
- American Bar Association: ABA Intellectual Property Law Section, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- Florida Bar Business Law Section, CLE Sub-Committee for Inaugural Intellectual Property Certification Preparation CLE Program, July 2007, Member
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Member
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Toledo College of Law, Toledo, OH; Patent Claims Drafting, Spring 2006, Spring 2008
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Toledo College of Law, Toledo, OH; Trademark Registration Practice, Spring 2009