We represent clients in a broad spectrum of local, regional, state, and federal administrative and regulatory matters involving permitting, legislative initiatives, rule making, licensure, compliance, enforcement and administrative litigation.
Our experience in dealing with state government agencies often leads to resolution of concerns in an informal arena — without the need to resort to adversarial hearings or proceedings. When more formal actions are required, we use the full range of tools provided in Florida’s Administrative Procedure Act, including representing clients before state agencies in:
- negotiations with individual state agencies;
- administrative proceedings at the Division of Administrative Hearings; and
- appearance proceedings in the state’s appellate courts.
With respect to state proceedings our work may begin when a client requires a permit, zoning variance or license. We will help to prepare the application and represent the client in appearances before the appropriate administrative body. Should a client be wrongfully denied at this level, our next step, according to Florida’s Administrative Procedures Act, would be to seek all applicable rights and remedies in an administrative law proceeding before the Department of Administrative Hearings (DOAH). We can bring the matter for judicial review, usually in the District Court of Appeal.
Whether the relevant body is a city, county, school board, commission or one of the administrative arms of the state or federal government, the matters we handle for clients before those agencies are extremely varied and involve just about every industry in the state, as well as a range of clients, from individuals to Fortune 500 companies. Following are some of the areas of focus in our Administrative Law practice:
- Alcoholic beverage licensure and regulation
- Certificates of need
- Comprehensive plans
- Developments of regional impact
- Disciplinary actions
- Environmental compliance, clean-up, permitting and reporting
- Healthcare and hospital licensure and regulation
- Labor and employment law issues
- Land use and zoning
- Land sales registration
- Securities registration and reporting
- Stop work orders
- Telecommunications siting, licensure, and regulation
- Timeshare regulation
- Trademark/tradename registration and enforcement
- Worker’s compensation
- Vested rights