Broken contracts. Bad business practices. Stolen intellectual property. Personal and business catastrophes. These are among the most common disputes that trial attorney Jim Toscano handles, representing both individuals and companies. His extensive trial experience in high profile litigation has included:
- defending an NBA team against reverse discrimination and defamation claims – a case that aired on Court TV when first tried and ultimately resulted in a defense verdict;
- representing a group of prominent former NFL players in suing a Bank for negligence in allowing accounts to be opened based on forged signatures in Federal Court in Miami that settled mid-trial; and
- successfully defending the Seminole County Supervisor of Elections in the aftermath of the controversial 2000 presidential election against claims of impropriety, a case which garnered national attention.
Jim has a significant track record as lead counsel in federal and state courts throughout Florida, including complex commercial business, real property and banking litigation, class actions, intellectual property litigation, and personal injury and wrongful death cases. Equally noteworthy is his representation of technology companies, helping them protect their intellectual property jewels—patents, trademarks and copyrights—through both preventive measures and, when necessary, litigation.
“My responsibility is to help individuals and companies solve their problems as effectively and as efficiently as possible. Sometimes the best action is to avoid court,” Jim acknowledges, “but the other side also needs to know that I am ready, willing and able to take the case to trial, if necessary, to achieve the best possible result for my client.” As a certified Circuit Court mediator, Jim has represented clients in numerous arbitration’s and in hundreds of mediation’s.
As committed to community service as he is to his clients, Jim served an eight-year term as a member of the Board of Directors of the Second Harvest Food Bank, and has provides hundreds of hours of pro bono work, including not only legal assistance to Second Harvest, but also through serving as a Guardian Ad Litem for children in difficult family circumstances in need of legal representation. Taking on a community service leadership role at Lowndes, Jim orchestrates workplace campaigns to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, United Way, the Meredith Level Foundation/Endowment, and other community and civic organizations. In honor of Meredith, Jim and the firm do their “Level Best” to support the Orlando and Central Florida community, in part through an annual Community Service Day during which firm attorneys and employees volunteer a day of their time.
A huge sports fan, Jim has enjoyed his work with the Florida Citrus Sports Association, including serving on the Associate Board of Directors. Florida Citrus Sports is a not-for-profit membership organization that, through its College Football Bowl Games and other events, is dedicated to stimulating economic development and ultimately benefiting charities, educational institutions and the quality of life in Central Florida through its signature events.
Jim has also volunteered as a middle school basketball coach at St. James Cathedral School and as an Alumni interviewer for both Princeton and Duke.
Putting aside his well-known wit for a moment, Jim reflects on his many roles and activities. “Sometimes I am a trial lawyer; sometimes I am a negotiator. Sometimes I am a conciliatory voice of reason – other times, not so much. Regardless of my role, I am passionate about tackling my client’s – or my community’s – challenges head on, in whatever way is best for them.”
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating: AV
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2013-2019
- Selected for inclusion in 2014-2018 Florida Super Lawyers
- Florida Citrus Sports Associate Board of Directors, 2006-2012
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida, Board of Directors
- Graduate of Leadership Orlando Class 93
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Certified Mediator, Florida Supreme Court
- Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Orange County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar