A registered U.S. patent attorney and former engineer and program manager, Stephen Thomas is a shareholder in the firm’s Intellectual Property Group. In this role, Stephen advises business and university clients, many of whom have both domestic U.S. and global IP portfolios, in a variety of markets. He provides his clients with a full spectrum of guidance regarding IP licensing and royalty strategy, technology law, IP acquisition strategies, IP enforcement and litigation, Federal Trade Commission (FTC) compliance, building and maintaining an enforceable IP asset portfolio, teaming/partnering strategies for global product roll-out, time-phased product and software development, joint ventures, agreements for engineering services, subcontractor management, supply chain management and related matters. Stephen remains engaged in prosecuting numerous patent and trademark applications before the USPTO and actively manages foreign patent and trademark filings in numerous foreign jurisdictions including jurisdictions in North America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America. Stephen has defended challenged patents under the new Inter Partes Review (IPR) rules at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) as well as challenged and defended trademarks at the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB).
Stephen is an experienced litigator, having enforced intellectual property claims against Fortune 100 companies as well as numerous general business and contract related matters, in both the Federal and state courts. Stephen is also a frequent lecturer in IP and business matters for Central Florida business incubators, universities and other organizations.
- Congressional Recognition as FIT Women’s Business Center (WBC) Board of Directors past Chair
- Honorary Member, Delta Mu Delta International Honor Society in Business
- FIT Women’s Business Center (WBC) Board of Directors past Chair
- Founders Forum Board of Directors, Chair
- Energy Florida Board of Directors
- Space Coast Tech Council
- The Economic Development Commission (EDC) of Florida’s Space Coast Board of Directors
- Boys Scouts of America (proud father of four Eagle scouts)
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- The Florida Bar Association
- Brevard County Bar Association
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Court Mediator