A Virginia native originally with aspirations to become a journalist, Brendan Lynch fell in love with Orlando and has made it his home since 2005. He represents both commercial and residential property land owners, as well as tenant business owners, in issues of eminent domain/condemnation.
Typically, the eminent domain cases involve a governmental entity (Florida Department of Transportation, county, city, expressway authority, or other state agency) or private utility with condemnation powers seeking to take land from the property owners. Interestingly, Brendan has also represented condemning authorities on special projects – bringing a perspective from both sides of the table.
Brendan also assists property owners throughout Florida with their property tax appeals, including assessment reviews, direct negotiations with county property appraisers, appeals to the Value Adjustment Board, and trial and appellate court proceedings. His clients include apartment projects, big box stores, condominiums, commercial strip centers, hotels, residences, and other retail buildings.
With broad experience handling many different types of exemption applications, Brendan often assists clients from the application stage through challenges, to denial of any exemption, through trial and appellate court proceedings. These exemption applications include agricultural, conservation easements, healthcare, homestead, military housing, non-profit, religious, and senior living.
- Represented a national building contractor in its application for military housing exemptions, resulting in a change in Florida law and a savings of $17 million dollars for the client.
- Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable G. Kendall Sharp, U.S. District Judge, Middle District of Florida, 2005-2007
- Editor-in-Chief, Federal Circuit Bar Journal, 2004-2005
- 2008-2009 “Honors Edition” of Who’s Who Among Executive and Professionals
- Recognized as “Florida Legal Elite”, 2017 by Florida Trend Magazine
- Recognized as a “Legal Elite Up & Comer” for 2009, 2014 and 2016 by Florida Trend Magazine
- Recognized as a “Florida Rising Stars” 2012-2017 by Florida Super Lawyers
- Ninth Judicial Circuit Pro Bono Merit Award
- United Arts of Central Florida, Board of Directors, Executive Committee
- Orange County Teen Court Advisory Board, Past President
- Heart of Florida United Way, Education Cabinet
- Adult Literacy League, Past President of Board of Directors
- Legal Aid Society, Guardian ad Litem
- Central Florida Partnership, Young Professionals Advisory Council, 2009-2011
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- The Florida Bar, Eminent Domain Committee
- The Virginia Bar
- Association of Eminent Domain Professionals (AEDP)